Crispy rings of tender calamari are great as an appetizer served with a spicy tomato sauce or garlicky mayonaise. Calamari need to be either cooked quickly on high heat, or cooked for a long period on a slow simmer. Anything in between can lead to a chewy result. Fried for just under a minute in hot oil as in this recipe results in tender, crispy rings of calamari. Use your favorite dipping sauce to serve, although I like to use a simple tomato sauce spiced up with a pinch of red pepper flakes. If you have never cleaned squid before, you might find their appearance a bit intimidating, however they are actually quite easy to clean.
Cooks Note: A great way to serve fried calamari, is to put a handful on top of a dish of spaghetti already dressed with a good spicy tomato sauce. If you prefer a crispier crust to your calamari, dip them in beaten egg before dropping them into the coating.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 2 Pounds Cleaned Squid (Instructions Below)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
Suggestions For Dipping Sauce:
- Quick Tomato Sauce, Or Garlic Mayonnaise
- To clean the squid, first pull out the tentacles and head, and set these aside.
- Remove the cartilage that runs down the back, and anything that is inside the tube, then run under cold water.
- Pull off the two wing pieces, and remove the skin.
- Slice the cleaned tube into 1 inch rings.
- Take the tentacles and cut off the head just below the eyes, and discard this, removing the hard beak inside.
- Place the cleaned calamari in the freezer for 5 minutes before cooking.
- Put 2 inches of oil into a pot, and heat to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal and spices together in a plastic bag.
- Drop in the calamari and shake well to cover with the coating.
- Drop the calamari into the hot oil, and cook for just under a minute, until they are golden brown, then drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
Serving Size: 1/2 pound
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 848Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 552mgSodium: 1175mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g